Latest Flickr Photos

www.flickr.com

Thursday, January 17, 2008

From car seat to crib

Well, its confirmed, again. Fay does not like to sleep in her crib. Now that we are done traveling, I decided to try to get Fay to sleep in her crib for nighttime and for naps. The first night, Tuesday, she slept for 5 hours in the crib but then woke up for a feeding and only slept for 2 hours after that. We ended up on the couch together to get some early morning sleep together.

Yesterday she seemed overly cranky between naps and would only nap for 45 min in the crib. She crashed for a long nap in the afternoon in the Baby Bjorn. After 3 hours I woke her up so that she would sleep at night.

Last night did not go well. Fay slept for about 3 hours, then 2.5, then 1.5 and then couch with mommy. She will go down pretty easily, but she gets woken up more frequently and won't put herself back to sleep.

She had another 45 min nap this morning after which she was clearly still tired, and cranky. So I put her down for a nap at 11:25 in the car seat and she is still sleeping almost 3 hours later. She must be tired!! Poor thing.

So I did some reading on this long thread of moms who want to know if it is ok that their babies only sleep in car seats and how to transition them to the crib. There is a large range of ages when these moms were able to successfully week the babies from the car seat. The general claim is that the baby must feel cozier or has reflux and feels more comfortable sleeping at an incline. Some good suggestions to make the crib seem more like the car seat are to elevate it with towels under the mattress, and/or use a sleep positioner. I have one of those, so I think I will try it for this afternoon's nap or for tonight's sleep. Then I can try to gradually decrease the incline to see if she will sleep flat.

I don't think I'm going to push it hard core though. I don't like it when she is not rested well. She is cranky and clearly uncomfortable.

No comments: